Monday, October 25, 2010

Barbie & Me

This past weekend i giggled like an 8-year old as my sisters and I unearthed our old beloved childhood Barbie collections. I'm talking bedecked, bejeweled, 1980's styled Barbies wearing fabulous outfits such as a white and gold jumpsuit, brown knee-high boots paired with a printed yellow and turquoise dress, a fuschia gathered bathing suit and matching ruffled skirt, and one stunning all pink fur-lined ensemble featuring over 20 possible looks! As we rummaged through this enormous pile of Barbie-labeled clothes and tiny matching accessories, I smiled thinking about how each of our Barbie choices as children would so closely reflect our future grown up personalities. For example, as a freckled seven-year old I hated the uber popular Western Barbie's fringed sleeves and white cowboy hat, and instantly fell in love with Hispanic Barbie's twinkling brown eyes and gorgeous brunette beauty. I was also devoted to Angel Face Barbie and her vintage lace/tafetta dress with fabulous pink makeup case in tow. Fashion and makeup? We were destined! And remember when dressing up a pretty doll and combing her long shiny blonde plastic hair for three hours straight was a sweet simple pleasure?...

6 comments:

Julia said...

I too loved barbie as a kid! I had an Ariel version that I just adored

Mruna Mistry said...

How sweet! I remember I had my favorites too...still do...

Keith said...

I remember all the Barbies my sister had as a kid. I hope this finds you doing well. Thanks for your comment on my blog. Take care.

SohoAccessories said...

Beginnings of a fashionista...Sweet memories.

RedPoppy said...

Thanks for all your lovely comments!!
xo RP

Valerie said...

I loved dressing up my barbie's too! I recently checked out the Barbie selection at Target (for my niece) and they've really come a long way. They now have Christian Louboutin Barbie and lots of others that seemed much more mature than the barbie I remember. I guess Barbie advances with the times. ;)

xo
Valerie