Friday, October 29, 2010

Project Runway Season 8 Finale!!!

It's finally here!!, the very last episode of Season 8 of Project Runway. But first things first, who on earth hired Jessica Simpson as one of the final judges on this most important fashion show of the whole season? I know, there's a recession going on...

Moving on, surprise! We've got an episode within an episode as Tim and Heidi introduce a Reunion special with the final three designers sitting, once again, next to the booted off contestants from Season 8. I'm happy to see everyone together again, however cringe- worthy video clips and a whole lot of tears and chit chat ensue, and all I'm thinking is when do we get to Fashion Week? when when when???
Back in the workroom the designers put the final touches on their collections, and I must point out one of Andy's looks, which is a cut out bikini bathing suit with twisted fabric pieces coming up out of the crotch. Tim thinks it looks like hair...aaaanyways, Next stop Fashion Week!
The designers arrive at Lincoln Center, and the backstage drama begins...Because I've just arrived off a long flight I'm still too wobbly to write about all that went on backstage, besides Mondo's hair coif looking sensational, so it's on to the Runway with Heidi, who by the way is wearing an all red pantsuit which irks me. She introduces the designers and the show begins with Gretchen's collection, and now I'm going to let my thoughts run free:
-The Charlie's Angels hair styling is gorgeous, and she's managed to step up her accessories styling as well with heels, hats, and sunglasses. Love the printed brown chiffon dress, but we see five more pieces coming down the runway looking pretty much the same, a bit repetitive. However I'll admit the collection is very wearable, and it's all very well edited for a clear customer in mind.
Next up is an emotional Andy, wearing those parachute pants he made for the Jackie Kennedy challenge:
-Those flower headpieces are distracting and look like antennae, but I love the rough chiffon wrap and bathing suit, very sexy. Loved the silver tone pleated top with shorts look. I don't like the pea green cigarette pants however I love his eleventh look for the last challenge, the green intricately pleated two piece dress. It felt underwhelming and way too conservative for Andy's warrior aesthetic we are used to seeing.

And last but not least is Mondo's inspired and joyful collection:
-Love the first look of the dotted blouse and shorts, but I really can't appreciate the silk screened skeleton print everyone apparently loves. My favorite look was the the plaid bubble dress, and the headpiece was a total show stopper. Sleek looking slim-fitting plaid pants and pink and silver tunic dress were some highlights. Overall the headpieces were incredible and the whole collection just felt whimsical and happy.

For me the clear winner is Mondo, simply because his collection was fun, ebullient, bright, and inspiring. Somehow I'm finding it difficult believing Heidi when she says she was 'blown' away by each collection. Really? Usually I'd dive right into discussing the judges' extensive thoughts on each designers' showing because it was quite the in depth debate, but I am regrettably still a wee bit tired (am I even typing straight?) so let's just hope you've already watched the fun bits. Basically we have a split decision between the judges. Heidi and Jessica are all for Mondo's polka dot sheath and upbeat collection, while Michael and Nina prefer the focused, effortless wearability, and clear vision of the customer Gretchen is designing for.
Drum roll please........and the winner is: Gretchen. Wow, just a few hours ago (actually most of the season) I never saw that one that coming, besides the fact that Tim once scolded her for being "manipulative and pushy." But since when does sell ability win out over wearability? I mean, how many times have we watched Michael, Nina, and Heidi choose ambitious high concept and creative collections over more sedate, sellable, and wearable ones? Darn that recession of ours, I have a wee feeling it's partly to blame.

Well Auf Wiederhosen everyone,  and I'll miss you most of all Tim!
Can't wait to bring you more drama from the next season of Project Runway....
xoxox for now,
RedPoppy

No comments: